This year I'm celebrating 15 years supporting LGBTQ relationships professionally. It's been my joy to support hundreds of queer relationships through commitments, trust repair, communication struggles and more.
Y'all are pretty fabulous.
Here are ten things I love about LGBTQ love:
1. Because most of these folks have had to do a little reflection about how their love is different than most the folks in their life they're often more self-aware in partnership.
2. LGBTQ couples are far more likely to create balanced plans around their household responsibilities (this isn't just my expertise, this is a well-researched fact).
3. Children of LGBTQ couples do better in school, get more involved in their communities, and step into leadership more than others (this is researched, not just my opinion).
4. LGBTQ couples are far more jealousy-resilient for a large variety of reasons (again, there's plenty of research to back this up, beyond my experience).
5. More often than heterosexual couples these folks are willing to get creative sexually to get their needs met (again, this is well researched).
6. More often than not these couples are willing to talk openly about their sexual needs (you know, and then they get them met) (again, this is well researched).
7. More often than other couples, LGBTQ partners are able to navigate open relationships with care.
8. LGBTQ folks are more likely to wait to marry/commit until they've explored some personally. This creates a possibility for more emotionally mature relationships.
9. More often than others, LGBTQ folks plan meaningful commitment ceremonies shaped around their unique core values (I just like these).
10. LGBTQ couples are more likely to use humor and humility in healthy ways in conflict (this is well-researched, not just my opinion).
Again, thank all of you who have shared your personal paths with me over the years. It's an honor to support your love.
Hi! I'm glad you're reading. Let me know if I can help you:
open your relationship & practice polyamory with integrity
move beyond jealousy, fear, and insecurity
manage intense emotions that arise in conflicts
rebuild trust after infidelity or dishonesty
shift stuck communication & codependent relationship patterns
I lead couples retreats, host workshops, and see private clients online.
Call me for a free consultation to rethink the way you do relationships.
Gina Senarighi, MS, MA, CPC is a communication consultant, sexuality counselor and certified relationship coach specializing in polyamory, open relationships, jealousy, and infidelity.